GAINSBOROUGH’S HOUSE AND MUSEUM
The Gainsborough Trail is named after Sudbury’s most famous son, the the internationally renowned English landscape and portrait artist Thomas Gainsborough (1727 – 1788).
Gainsborough’s House, at 46 Gainsborough Street in Sudbury, was his birth place and is now a museum dedicated to his life and works.
The house dates from around 1520 with a Georgian façade added in the 18th century by Gainsborough’s father, John Gainsborough, a local weaver. The Gainsborough family bought the house in 1722 for £230 and lived in it until 1792.
By contrast Gainsborough’s portrait of “Miss Read, Later Mrs William Villebois”, sold at auction in 2011 for £6.5 million ($10.76 million).
Thomas Gainsborough was educated at Sudbury Grammar School but at the age of 13 was allowed to go to London to study art with the engraver and illustrator Hubert Gravelot and the painters Francis Hayman, and William Hogarth.
A founding member of the British Royal Academy, Gainsborough is most well known for paintings such as “The Blue Boy”, “Mr. and Mrs. Robert Andrews”, “The Harvest Wagon” and many more.
Gainsborough’s House now houses a permanent collection of the artist’s works as well of those closest to him, and displays regular exhibitions of his pictures from other collections plus related displays of artefacts, memorabilia, paintings, photographs and materials connected with Gainsborough and the Sudbury area.
As well as the galleries, the building also houses a gift shop, a coffee shop, a print makers workshop and a beautiful garden dating from the 1600’s.
The museum is normally open Monday to Saturday 10.00am to 5.00pm and closed on Sundays and some Bank Holidays, but before your visit please check for the latest information, HERE: